Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR)
Transition from SRS to NIBRS by January 2021
The UCR is transitioning from the SRS (Summary Reporting System) to NIBRS (National Incident Based Reporting System) only data collection by January 1, 2021. All local, state and Tribal agencies are encouraged to start the transition to start implementing NIBRS now.
SRS vs. NIBRS
SRS (Summary Reporting System) which only submits a tally of monthly crimes.
NIBRS (National Incident Based Reporting System) submits details on crimes including incident date and time, reports separate offenses within the same incident, whether the incident was cleared, victim types, relationships of victims to offenders and offenses, demographic details, location data, property descriptions, drug types and quantities, suspected use of drugs or alcohol, involvement of gang activity, and if a computer was used to commit the crime (hacking or identity theft).
By implementing NIBRS, Law Enforcement can be more strategic about where to allocate resources to better protect their communities.
Ways to prepare for NIBRS transition:
- Procure NIBRS RMS (Records Management Software).
- Verify whether you will use FBI or state specific tech specs by contacting your state UCR. https://www.fbi.gov/file-repository/ucr/state-ucr-program-contacts.pdf/view
- Map state statutes to NIBRS offense codes.
- Implement NIBRS RMS.
- Pretest data against NIBRS validation rules:
- NIBRS pre-certification tool for flat file submissions.
- NIBRS XML Conformance Testing Assistant (XCOTA) Tool for XML submissions.
- Attain NIBRS certification.
- Message NIBRS success.
NIBRS Standard Requirements:
- Able to collect information about all offenses in an incident.
- Detailed offense code assigned to each offense in an incident.
- Demographic information stored for each victim in an incident.
- Victim injury stored for each victim in an incident.
- Demographic information stored for each known offender in an incident.
- Relationship between each victim and offender stored for all offenses in an incident.
- Track multiple clearances.
- Track whether an incident was exceptionally cleared.
- Record and store exceptional clearance date.
Be sure to contact Dynamic Public Safety to get more information on our RMS module to get NIBRS implemented now.